Schools and Colleges

Eugene ‘Gene’ Anderson appointed dean of Martin J. Whitman School of Management

Eugene "Gene" Anderson has been appointed dean of the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, filling the position left vacant by former dean Kenneth Kavajecz who was arrested in a prostitution sting last September.

Syracuse University announced on Thursday that Eugene “Gene” Anderson has been appointed dean of the Martin J. Whitman School of Management.

Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced Anderson’s appointment as dean in an email sent to Whitman students around 3:30 p.m. on Thursday. An SU News release was also published regarding the announcement shortly after Wheatly’s email to students. Anderson will assume his new role on July 1.

“Syracuse University is fortunate to have someone of his caliber joining the team, and I look forward to seeing the great things he and his team will accomplish in the months and years ahead,” Wheatly said in the email to Whitman students.

Anderson spent more than 20 years at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. He also served as dean of the University of Miami School of Business Administration from 2011 to 2016. Anderson’s research interests include marketing and business performance, customer satisfaction and customer analytics, according to his biography. Prior to his appointment as Whitman dean, Anderson was a marketing professor at the University of Miami.

In the news release, Mike Haynie — SU’s vice chancellor of strategic initiatives and innovation, who chaired the Whitman dean search committee — called Anderson a “true innovator who understands the critical importance of applying an entrepreneurial philosophy to business education.”

Anderson will replace the dean position left vacant by Kenneth Kavajecz, who was arrested in a prostitution sting last September. Kavajecz received a misdemeanor charge for patronizing a prostitute in the third degree and is scheduled to next appear in court on May 25.

“The Whitman School is known for its extraordinary track record of success and innovation in management education and research,” Anderson said in the SU News release. “I look forward to working with its accomplished faculty, and diversely talented staff and students, to continue and build on its remarkable momentum. I am grateful to Provost Wheatly, Vice Chancellor Haynie and members of the search committee for entrusting me with this important position.”